Weekly Opinion: Tweeting on a Field Trip

We have talked about the fact that what you post online is often much more public than you might intend it to be. Read this article and/or view this video about a teen who was thrust into the national spotlight because of a joking comment she made on Twitter.

What do you think about this? Do you think this was a private or public matter? Do you think the Governor’s office overreacted? Would you have apologized if this had been you? How private do you think things that you post online are? Add a reply to this post and voice your opinion.

If you are interested in what happened, check out this article and this one.

29 thoughts on “Weekly Opinion: Tweeting on a Field Trip

1. I honestly think that the Governor’s office went kind of overboard. Because she just said what she feels and it’s freedom of speech. If it were me I wouldn’t apologize. Because once again freedom of speech and you can’t change someone opinion

• Watch your sentence structure. Your 2nd & 4th sentences are not actually sentences. You did not talk about whether this is a private or public matter or how private you feel things that you post online are.

2. I think that people have a right to tweet about what they think or feel. If they want to tweet about what they think, they have the right to freedom of speech. I agree with the high school senior in the video. I personally think she should NOT right the apology letter.

• Where is your commentary on whether this was a private or public matter and about how private things that you post online are?

3. I think that this was a private matter and even if it was public she was expressing freedom of speech. The Governor’s office overreacted in this situation and I would of not written a apology letter if i felt that strongly about it. Messages online are not private and never trust the internet.

4. I think that it was not that big of a deal. She expressed how she felt about him and he should not have taken it to heart. He should know that not everyone is going to like him. I think that he seems to be a little bit rood for getting mad at High School student about what she wrote on a networking site.

• Rude is not spelled “rood”; make sure to check your spelling. You did not address if this were a private or public matter or how private you believe things that you post online are.

5. I think it was okay for her to state her feelings about the governor and be heard. I do not think that the government should have made such a big deal about it, and worry about other things. I would have not wrote an apology letter (unless I was forced to) because apologies are supposed to be meant, and if someone forces me to apologize, it would not mean anything. I also think that if she did NOT want it to be so public, she should not have posted online.

6. I believe in freedom of speech, and i think people might have overreacted a little bit to this situation. Though the comment was a little bit rude, I think it was an okay thing to post. She just needs to be careful in the future of what she posts online.

• You must always capitalize “I” when writing on this blog. Was this a private or public matter? How private do you think things that you post online are? You need to answer all of the questions asked.

7. It is freedom of speech but that is a comment that you should keep to your self and not influence others. I think it should have been a private matter even though she said those thing many people do. I did think they overreacted because as I said many people do it. Yes, I would apologized for the mean things I said.Things are never private only line once up put it on the internet and everyone could see it.

8. I think this tweet was a public matter because she chose to write it on a public website on the internet where others could read it. The Governor’s office completely overreacted over one opinion that does not effect the office in a big way. I would not have apologized if this has been me only because each person is entitled to their own opinion and should not have to apologize for freedom of speech. Items that are posted online are usually not private, and the writer of this comment shown have known that it might cause a big commotion.

9. I do not think that it is worthy to be on television. Private matter. Yes I do think the government’s office overreacted. Yes I would apologize, but I would not address a problem that way in the first place. Apparently, things that you post on the internet aren’t very private. If I had a problem such as the one that she had, i would not have addressed it they she did. If I had a problem with someone, I would address in person.

• Please use full sentences when replying on this blog. “Private matter” is not a sentence. You must always capitalize “I” when you post on this blog.

10. The governor overreacted. I would have apologized to the governor. Anything posted on the internet is public. This should have been a private matter between the governor and the girl.

11. I think that she has a right to say what she wants and it seems a little ridiculous how the office read one tweet.It would be good if she apologized but they made a big deal about it. I think it is a public matter because it was said on twitter.I would apologize but it is wrong how they made a big deal about it. I don’t think anything I post is private because it is seen by any social network that you are in as in Facebook. It was wrong for her to say it on twitter but the governor’s office overreacted.

• Make sure to capitalize the name of sites like Twitter and watch your spacing after periods. There should always be one space after a period.

12. I think that it was not as big as the office make it sound.
    However she posted it on a public viewing site so everyone could see it. She should have at least made her account so it was privet.

• Make sure you proofread your work. Your first sentence seems to be missing a word. Your second sentence is a fragment and not a sentence. Your third sentence has the word private spelled incorrectly. You never answered the question of whether you would have apologized or not or how private you think things that you post online are.

13. I believe she should not be punished for what she did. She was just voicing her opinion. In the Bill Of Rights it gives U.S. citizens the right to speak freely. That freedom should not be ignored just because it was about a politician.

• You did not answer most of the questions:
      Is it a private or public matter?
      Would you have apologized or not?
      How private do you think things you post online are?

14. I think he overacted and it is freedom of speech on what she said. I think also it is a public matter. Anything that is posted is private and only certain people can see it on Facebook but on Twitter it is open to the public. If it were me I would have apologized.

• Facebook is not necessarily private. It depends on how your privacy settings are set and more importantly, it depends on what the people who can see what you post do with that information. Anything that you post, could be copied and pasted anywhere else on the Internet or sent to people you don’t know via email or text messages. There really is no such thing as private on the Internet.

15. What do you think about this? I think it is a good thing in many ways because it helps you be accountable. Do you think this was a private or public matter? It was a very private matter. Do you think the Governor’s office overreacted? No because it was rude and should not be allowed. Would you have apologized if this had been you? Yes, I would feel bad. How private do you think things that you post online are? Not private at all because everyone can access it. Add a reply to this post and voice your opinion.

• Your first answer does not make sense in the context of the article and video you were supposed to read or watch. This makes me wonder if you read the article or watched the video. None of your other answers are specific enough to assure me that you actual read the article or watched the video.

Why did you copy the questions to your reply and most importantly why did you leave the “Add a reply” statement in? This should have been removed. Please do not add a fake URL when you reply on this blog. Either use your actual URL or leave the URL blank; I removed this on this reply or visitors to the blog will get errors trying to click on it.

16. That was not right, and uncalled for.This was a private matter and she should had kept her thoughts to herself. The governors office did the right thing and got her expelled from school and she needed to learn a lesson. If this was me I would have apologized to the governors office. They are not private because the whole world can see what you had said.